Three types of regions can be identified on the basis of sources of electricity –
- Hydro-electricity dominated region
- Thermal power dominated region
- Nuclear power dominated region
Hydro-electricity dominated region
- The states included under this category are –
- Himachal Pradesh,
- Jammu and Kashmir,
- Tripura, and
- These states are far away from coal fields but have optimum conditions for the development of hydro electricity.
Thermal power dominated region
- It included states such as –
- West Bengal,
- Madhya Pradesh,
- Uttar Pradesh,
- Haryana and
- Majority of these states have reserves of coal which are utilised for power generation.
- Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana and Punjab do not have coal reserves but have direct access to coal fields by railway lines. However, they are diversifying their sources of power.
Nuclear power dominated region
- Rajasthan is the only state which comes under this category.
- In Rajasthan more than half of the total commercial energy is nuclear.
- It’s because the state is deficit both in coal and water.
Bibliography : NIOS Geography Book