There are regional variations in the levels of industrial development in India. Indian industries have concentrated in clusters at some locations. Most industrial regions in India have developed in the hinterlands of some major ports like Kolkata, Mumbai and Chennai. These industrial regions have all the advantages like availability of raw materials, energy, capital and markets.
Six major industrial regions emerged out of which three are in the hinterlands of ports.
The six major industrial regions are as follows –
- Hooghly Industrial region
- Mumbai – Pune Industrial region
- Ahmedabad – Vadodara region
- Madurai – Coimbatore – Bangalore region
- Chotanagpur Plateau region
- Delhi and Adjoining region
Besides these major industrial regions, there are 15 minor industrial regions and 15 industrial districts.
Bibliography : NIOS Geography Book